While looking for my earliest book list last week I stumbled across many interesting things, including a chapter by chapter blueprint for producing the first volume in an epic fantasy series that I planned to write in my late teens, but fortunately there never seemed to be enough time.
I thought it might be interesting to reproduce it here (yes, it’s a slow news/Pete’s busy kind of week), and if any of you do feel inspired to go and write it yourself please do so with my blessing:-
1) Becomes a man. Is told of the strange circumstances of his birth.
2) Parents killed. Swears vengeance.
3) Confrontation with overlord. News of war.
4) Enlists in King’s army. Training as soldier.
5) Army life. Friendship with mercenary.
6) Battle of the pass.
7) The journey to the capital city.
8) Life in the city. Quarrel with the mercenary.
9) The siege.
10) Escape from city with royal prince.
11) Shipboard life.
12) Taken prisoner by the Sea Wolves.
13) The Prince betrayed. Storm.
14) Washed up on island. Taken prisoner.
15) Sacrifice to Bella Nostra. Fight with monster.
16) Escape from island.
17) Journey overland.
18) Journey through forest.
19) Arrival in Younger Kingdoms. Knighted by King.
It all seems relatively straightforward to me. I really don’t see why fantasy readers make such a fuss about that Martin chap and all his Game of Thrones malarkey.
So any of the rest of you ever take a look back at literary plans and abandoned/unstarted projects and wonder where the heck your heads were at, or is it just me?